Shawl Quilt Along WEEK 3, April 8th


Week 3 of the quilt along, and we are making cornerstones!



Some notes for the week!

Since there are nine identically sized squares in the cornerstone, it’s possible to think you’re sewing fabrics together right, but be mistaken.  Check that your fabrics are in order (1.) in the strip set, and also (2.) when you’re sewing the three strip sets together.

And just in case you have some unfortunate unpicking to do, here’s my trick:  I pick every 7th-9th stitch on one side of the seam.  Then I loosen a thread on the opposite of the seam and pull it away from the seam.

This thread often pulls entirely out without the thread breaking, and I have inch long threads on the other side to easily pull out.



Spice up your sewing!
There is often a huge contrast within this small cornerstone. Sometimes when I have made Shawl, I've changed my thread colour at different times to make sure the thread is a good match, and remains unseen.  (Also I find it spices up the process to use a different thread colour. It's a simple pleasure!)

This week is a light work week.  The cornerstones are small, and we’re making all you need for your quilt top this week.

WEEK 3, Apr 8th
Cut, strip piece and assemble cornerstones
Crib 18
Throw 50
Queen 72


Also here's a look at what's coming next!

WEEK 4, Apr 15th
Cut, strip piece and assemble sashing
Crib 36
Throw 100
Queen 144

WEEK 5, Apr 22nd

Catch-up, get-ahead or take-it-easy week


Congrats to Laurie MacDonald @harbourcolour!  She has won the Week 2 prize, donated by Soak Was Inc..  Please reach out to me with your mailing address, and I'll get that mailed out to you Laurie!



This week’s sponsor is my cohort in creativity, Caverly!  She’ll be sending this bundle of digital artwork/ . Print them and frame for your home, have one printed on fabric, or use one digitally as wallpaper for your phone and computer to brighten up your every day.  My house has several pieces by Cav, and I also have her artwork on my iphone screen.  I am in love with her style!  






Post your cornerstone progress by midnight on Sunday to win!

No comments