Quilt Pattern: Afternoon Sun

Quilt design inspiration strikes me in many ways  Sometimes I’m inspired by something I see, sometimes, I want to explore a concept.  The inspiration for this quilt this came from a challenge.  My goal was to design a pattern unlike anything I saw in the market that also uses 10” pre-cuts. Luckily, inspiration came quickly and I easily fell in love with this simple, versatile, quick - finish quilt.








The pattern comes in 3 sizes; Full, Lap and Bassinet.  This is the Lap size!  

Colour selection was fun, as always!  Purples, yellows, ice blues, teals, and warm greens.  In my minds eye I imagined adirondack chairs at a beach house in Mahone Bay - a most adorable seaside community near my home.





Quite often, by the time the quilt top is done, I know just how I’d like to quilt it!  I decided to soften the bold angles with a serpentine quilt stitch done on a domestic machine.  I really enjoy the rippled look of this stitch.  I was able to keep my lines straight by lining the foot up with the vertical seams on the quilt, which I would come across every 5 or 6 rows, and any corrections to make the lines straight disappeared into the overall effect of the serpentine stitch.  It was a very forgiving stitch!  I’d highly recommend it for domestic quilting!

The scrappy binding was made using only shades of blue from the quilt top.


This pattern is available in our Etsy Shop as an instant download.  Pattern includes step-by-step instructions, diagrams, paper templates, and a colouring page to help you plan out colour placement!





No comments